I'm not entirely sure if I'm wording that right, so I'll try to explain a little better. I have a solidify modifier applied to an object with the rim and shell marked as their own vertex groups. I want the vertex groups to have a different material than the rest of the mesh, but the only way that I can think of doing that is to apply the modifier and assign the material the regular way, which is destructive. How can I assign the material to the vertex groups without applying the modifier? Is there maybe a node that can assign materials to specific vertex groups?


1 Answer 1


In this case, the modifier provides a Material Index Offset setting for generated geometry.. (just above the Vertex Group assignments) so you don't need any get-arounds..

enter image description here

(This circle is solidified downwards, from red to blue)

In general, until a node is provided, this method by @Nathan can get vertex-groups / weights into shader trees.

  • $\begingroup$ Man, thanks. I had no clue what that meant before now $\endgroup$
    – God
    Aug 1, 2020 at 19:56
  • $\begingroup$ np. check out @Nathan's rather wonderful answer, (linked in mine) for other cases. $\endgroup$
    – Robin Betts
    Aug 1, 2020 at 19:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .