When applying two bevel modifiers the smoothing of the first one disappears. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
I am using blender 2.83 and here are my working steps:
- Set bevel weight of an edge ring of the default cube to 1
- Add the following bevel modifier
- Turn Auto Smooth on
- The result is as expected:
- Add another bevel modifier as follows:
- Result: Only those edges that are bevelled by the second modifier get smoothed.
I would have expected that the smoothing of the large rounded edges is still visible.
Now I know, how to solve the task - thanks to the hints of Jachym Michal :-)
Anyway the Why in my question still remains.
- When Auto Smooth needs Smooth Shading activated, why does it seem to work properly, when only activating the first modifier?
- Why does it break, when turning on the second modifier? Why do I need Smooth Shading in this case?
- Why do I get those shading artifacts and why do they disappear, when turning of Harden Normals in the first modifier?
When someone knows the answer, I would appreciate your help. Meanwhile, I will try to understand clearer, how Harden Normals and Auto Smooth are working behind the scenes. Hope, this helps me, to understand the reasons.