I'm after some guidance on best practice and options here.
I have a character model in blend file A, it is a collection of separate objects. There is also an armature. The various objects which make up the character are parented to the bones of the armature. This is a robot character so I don't want any mesh deforms; the parenting is sufficient.
As part of the character, there is a point light parented to one of the objects.
I don't want to join the objects because:
- It is more manageable to edit separate objects
- Some have modifiers which I don't want to 'apply'
- They lose their parent bone, which is all set up nicely
Now let's say I want to link to the character from blend file B. I choose link, and link the collection which includes the rig and all its child objects.
Now; how should I go about animating this character? I can see two options:
- Make a proxy - I can make a proxy of the rig, and great, I can animate it, however
- I can't animate the light brightness
- It sounds like proxies are going to be deprecated
- Use a library override, however
- It bring in everything as separate objects, which is unmanageable when I just want to animate the whole character and hide the implementation details
Can anyone offer any guidance here, what would be the standard or best practice way of doing this? A link to a tutorial would be a very valid answer.