I have sculpted and retopologized a dragon model. When I try to bake a normal map using details from my high poly model I am getting artefacts on my normal map. I get much better results using a cage, but there are still some problems in areas such as the mouth, wings, and under the legs:
There are also similar artefacts under the horns and on other parts of the wings. The mouth artefacts can be cleared up by not using a cage and putting the ray distance under 0.4, but then I get worse problems on other portions of my mesh such as the upper legs. I have tried using 32bit float and 8k for my normal maps. Changing the placement of my seams multiple times did not make much difference. I played around with the extrusion option when using a cage, but no extrusion gives better results. I could go into gimp (or photoshop), and try to fix the problems manually, but I would like to know why I am getting them. Here are the bake settings that work best for me (to make the cage I took the low poly version went into edit mode then used ALT-S to scale up until the cage covered the high-poly version):
EDIT: I re-created my cage, manually scaling certain areas more than others then re-baked with the new cage. The normal map looks better in the mouth area, but the normal map applied to the dragon still looks just as bad in the viewport.