I want to find a way to split the face of a character in separated cubes (but remaining as the same "face mesh" !), as if my character was a man made from stone for example.

I've tried to Ctrl-B on the desired faces, which gave me what I wanted (I also apply this modification to the arms and hands), but I was not able to scale the new faces inward the character (to create a bump effect), and I don't know if its possible.

enter image description here

Is there a way to do so ? - Could the explode modifier help me to reach this result ? - Or maybe the Ctrl-B shortcut ?

Thanks a lot guys :)


enter image description here The frontmost image has used inset, extrude, and some faces between extrusions have been deleted.

enter image description here Select, Inset, Extrude Individual Faces which can create faces targeted for deletion if you like. Blue sphere shows inset before any extrusion. Yellow edit mode is the extrusion. Image above.

enter image description here Inset skipped. Image Above

In Edit Mode

  • Face Mode
  • Make a selection of faces
  • Inset Faces with the individual option ... See the tools keystrokes listed in the UI. Press I for individual inset [ON]

  • Menu ... Extrude Individual Faces . Be careful to use the new selection provided by the tool. If you loose the selection then use [undo] to recover the selection

  • Set the pivot for scaling to individual origins .. with the upper tool bar ... yellow arrow
  • Scale ... to scale the selected faces to the center of each face
  • Improve these steps

  • Delete Faces if you like to create islands
  • Know that you in edit mode you can add another shape such as a cube et cetera
  • You can always join two different meshes into one mesh
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks a lot, usually I don't use this Inset function. In the end that was pretty simple and accurate. Thank you ! :) $\endgroup$
    – Pdhm
    Apr 26 '20 at 19:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.