i have a problem. i want the lego-minifigure to walk without sliding. I tried it with a rootbone and a path but i always get sliding. i also tried offset- walking, but it did not work. what else can i do? i want to reuse the walkcycle for other animation.s i spent 3 days but can't make it work. i watched a lot of tutorials, but is is still not working. i need this animation, but i can't go on without a working walkcycle.
So here is a method to make a non-sliding walk cycle. This is the Dopsheet part, once you have finished, when you'll move the character through the scene from point A to point B, you'll need to adjust the speed so that the walk doesn't slide, but it's another topic.
- In the Dopesheet, put your cursor at frame 0, switch your armature to Pose mode, don't move the root bone for the moment, just create a pose with spread legs and hip a little bit down, align the heel of the front foot (let say left foot) with the tail of the root, select all the bones and create a LocRotScale keyframe.
- Copy the whole pose, go to frame 20, paste the flipped pose, create a keyframe for all the bones. In the Dopesheet press T and choose Interpolation > Linear to make the Graph Editor curve linear.
- Stay at frame 20, move the whole armature (with the bone) until the left foot is aligned with its position at frame 0 (which is now the position of right foot as the pose as been symmetrized). You can create an empty as a marker if it helps. Create a keyframe.
- At frame 10 create the intermediary position: lift the right foot and move up the hip. Select all the bones and create a keyframe.
- At frame 40, put the root bone at a position on Y axis that is twice its position at frame 20. Use the Location value in the N panel and keyframe it.
- Now, copy the bones at frame 0 (except root) and paste them at frame 40. Insert a keyframe. Copy the bones at frame 10 poses (except root) and paste flipped at frame 30.
- Disable the root animation so that the character walks but always stay at its position.