I'm having a hard time trying to figure out, which types of nodes were used in the creation of a shader/material in the node editor. I did download a Blend file from the web and was curious to analyze the shaders and nodes, but when I open the Node Editor I can only see the custom names of most nodes, and not their "type", which I would need to reconstruct and explore. For example: I got a Pine Bark Node, which outputs a Factor and has a Texture, Thickness and Indentation. But I cant really figure out, which node this actually is. Any help would be much appreciated!

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ It looks like a node group, if you select it and press tab you can get into, ctrl G to group nodes, ctrl alt G to ungroup $\endgroup$ – moonboots Nov 25 '19 at 14:12
  • $\begingroup$ Hello :). Could you please mark one of the answers as accepted ? Just to keep this site nice and tidy :). Thanks. $\endgroup$ – Jachym Michal Apr 10 at 17:59

This seems to be a Node Group.
It is not a node by itself - rather a kind of a directory/folder.

It contains a node tree, with different inputs and outputs.
To enter or leave it press ⇥ Tab or the little top right arrow

Inside of a node group.
enter image description here

It is used to organize complex node trees, or sharing node trees across materials.
You can also rename your group, or the nodes inside of it - so it's easier to navigate.

Further reading:
Node Groups Page in Blender Manual

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.