Earlier I've animated simple collision with a cloth-modifier. (I've compressed it to a 2MB mp4, but I don't know how to upload it). It shows a face moving along a path through a (pinned) cloth, so that the contours of the face come through. Like this:
Currently I'm trying to achieve the same effect in different scene, but now the cloth seems to 'explode' even before the face hits it. For some reason the cloth seems to diverge into infinity, even though all the settings (at least in the cloth-physics tab) are the same as in my previous animation.
My question is: why? What causes this behavior?
I've tried to remove and add the cloth serveral times, but I keep getting the same results. I've checked:
- The normals (are pointing all in the same direction);
- Remove doubles (or 'merge by distance' as it's now called);
- Apply all transforms to the cloth;
- Increase the quality steps both in the cloth- and collisionstab;
- Increase and decrease the subsurface levels of the clothobject;
- Check and uncheck 'self-collision'.
I get the impression that the behavior has something to do with the last two, for sometimes it works okay (though undetailed) with subsurface level 2, but not with level 3. Similar with the 'self-collision' check. The behavior isn't consistent though.
Finally, here is a screenshot of the cloth-settings:
And one of the (subsurface) modifier(s):
I hope anyone can help me to understand this behavior.