I tried to figure out how to make vertices from two overlapping edges. I want the exact point they overlap to become a vertex, but I can't seem to find a solution to the problem.
Install the TinyCAD addon, then select all, press W > TinyCAD > XALL, all edges intersections will give vertices, but you'll probably have to recreate faces.
In this case, since everything is flat, the quickest option might be to use Knife Project.
- Select the components you want to intersect with one another (as separate objects if you like), and X delete > 'Faces Only' to produce edge-only versions. (This is not always necessary, but I've found it gives the most reliable results.)
- Arrange those components above a blank projection target.
- In Object Mode, select first the components, and then the blank, so the blank is active.
- Put the blank into Edit Mode.
- In an orthogonal view, straight down through the components onto the blank..
- .. in the tool region > Mesh Tools panel, find and hit 'Knife Project'
Vertices will automatically be formed at the intersections of your component's edges, in the projection.