just like the title says, is this even possible to do? My initial idea was to use and array, with some cubes and the use a displace modifier with a pixelated image, to be able to achieve that effect, but it doesn't seen to work, because the displace modifiers is applied to the single cube, but other than that i have no idea on how to do it, if anyone was a better idea, please share it, I would like to hear.

enter image description here

Thank You.

  • $\begingroup$ Are you looking for a way to specifically generate them procedurally (could you give more context about why you need it and what specifically do you need to be able to change/adjust in that case), or are you looking just for an easier way to achieve the result than to make and place every tile by hand? Also is it geometry or a shader that you are after? $\endgroup$ – Martin Z Jan 11 at 11:56
  • $\begingroup$ basically I'm just looking for an easier way to achieve that look, I think a shader could work because if flat and it doesn't need to have geometry. $\endgroup$ – Andre Jan 11 at 11:59
  • $\begingroup$ It is possible to generate it with a shader... It's just that it would be ridiculously complex. I think modelling would be an easier solution. $\endgroup$ – Martin Z Jan 11 at 12:01
  • $\begingroup$ but I want a way that I don't have to do to much work to model it, because if I want to change, image I have some text, and I later want to change it, I would have to redo everything. $\endgroup$ – Andre Jan 11 at 12:06
  • $\begingroup$ I do not believe it is possible to achieve the result without a lot of work. The randomness is quite complex in the pattern. The least amount of work would be to photograph it and make a texture this way. Other way it is a lot of work. $\endgroup$ – Martin Z Jan 11 at 12:08

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.