I have 4 models that has separate materials and each models already have UV coordinates.
I want to combine these models to using single material for better performance in games.
Current what I do is just import all models in single Blender file and change to use single material and remap the UV coordinates of each 4 models to take each takes 1/4 of texture space.
This actually works, however there are some lots of precision lost, also it took so much time to make texture each time.
Here's my workflow for this:
- Import all models in single Blender file
- Remove all materials and create new one and apply to all models
- Update UV coordinate of each model to take 1/4 spaces of texture space.
- To do that, first I scale down to .5(50%). If texture is 1K size, it should be 512x512.
- Move -256px of X and Y. But here's the problem, this is always incorrect position(I don't know why). Mostly I just move the whole uv coordinates to find better position.
- Repeat 4~5 until 4 models done.
- Save combined model and make new texture from 2d graphics program, such as photoshop.
Is there a shorten way to do this, or is there a better way to do this? It will be really appreciate it give me some advice.