I've been trying to render smoke and fluid simulations, but can't manage to get the results I'm seeking. The first problem is that the smoke and fluid don't simulate. The second problem is that the fluid domain shows up as a solid object in my render. I've tried to solve the issue for hours and I would really appreciate some help! I have appended the .blend file and I hope that someone will be able to take a look at it and help me out.
I'll be focusing on your scene here, however I will also try to generalise a bit so that you can carry the new things over.
Let's start with the fluid simulation - the fluid simulation does simulate in the file you have provided. It pours over the statue.
It does show up like a solid object in the render because you've not added a shader to it, so currently it's just plain old white.
I might have understood that the wrong way, so here's what to do if instead you mean the fact that the domain reverts to a cube during the animation: You've not baked the fluid enough. The process takes a lot of time and can't (to my knowledge) be paused. Hit the "Bake" button located in the physics properties of the fluid domain to bake the fluid cache. This will take up time and space on your harddrive. Blender might be unresponsive during baking - however make sure to save after a bake, as the cache is bound to the save-file. If it crashes and you forgot to save... well, then you can re-bake the whole thing.
If that's not your issue then I'd love to have some clarification as to what's not working out for you.
Onto the smoke simulation! Here is the part where things get a bit more general.
Smoke simulations are hard to calculate for the CPU. The "division" setting for smoke simulations is also not a "quality" slider. There is however a setting called "Smoke High Resolution". I see that you've ticked that one - and at the same time upped the divisions to 100. Blender really didn't like that 100 in the divisions setting. I got a normal result from lowering that setting to 32.
I'd recommend setting the divisions to 32 or 64 and instead increasing the "Divisions" setting under "High Resolution" to increase the quality of the smoke. I'd recommend 2 or 3, anything above 3 will not be worth the additional space on the harddrive and baking times.
A smoke emitter also doesn't need a lot of vertecies - yours currently has about 10000. Replacing it with a simple plane will yield the same result. I've personally not experimented with it, but it might reduce baking times as well.