I'd like to spawn particles that change size over time. It would be nice if I could have complete control over how big they are at each percentage of their lifetime, but that is not a necessary feature. (I'm rendering the particles as objects.)
Here is the method to increase the particles size through time, as explained by BlenderShortTests in one of his tutorials:
- Select your emitter and go to Properties > Particles, click New.
- In Properties > Particles > Render, click Object and choose the object that will be emitted as particles and its size.
- Go to your 3D view and press alt A to launch a preview of your emission animation, then stop it somewhere in its course.
- In Properties > Particles > Textures, add New and give it a name.
- In Properties > Textures > Type, choose Blend.
- In Properties > Textures > Colors, enable Color Ramp.
- In Properties > Textures > Mapping > Coordinate > choose Strand/Particles.
- In Properties > Textures > Influences, unclick Time and enable Size.
- In Properties > Textures > Colors, play with the Ramp controller to increase or decrease the size of your emitted object through time.
The video also explains how to make a fade out effect on the particles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67024UyCZ6A