I was wondering if there is a way to do Gaussian Blur effect on a generated texture in blender. Currently I blur images by mixing gain and then subtract them from the vector but this creates more a a distortion effect.

I tried finding a way to average pixels but I this does not seem possible in the node editor.

Does anyone know how I can tackle this problem?

  • $\begingroup$ One of the links here have a node called "ImageBlur" It works really well. blender.stackexchange.com/questions/9394/… $\endgroup$
    – icYou520
    Jun 15, 2018 at 14:50
  • $\begingroup$ @icYou520 yes that is the same method I used. Mixing a noise texture and then subtract them both. What I try to do is a Gaussian Blur ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_blur ) $\endgroup$
    – S.Visser
    Jun 15, 2018 at 15:10
  • $\begingroup$ That ImageBlur node does have gaussian blur distribution. Why is it not working for you? $\endgroup$ Jun 15, 2018 at 16:38
  • $\begingroup$ It add/removes pixels based on noise, so if I use it for displacement texture ( one that is created procedural ) it creates highs and lows based on the noise. What I try to do is to have a method that takes averages color values based on a range of neighbor pixels. $\endgroup$
    – S.Visser
    Jun 15, 2018 at 17:19
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ There's a heroic node implementation of a 3x3 convolution kernel here, You could, with patience, plug in the right matrix. $\endgroup$
    – Robin Betts
    Jun 15, 2018 at 17:36

1 Answer 1


You can go to the compositor and add a blue node, set it to fast gaussian and enable relative, then set the x and y values to suit your needs. Make sure you connect an image pipe to it though... if your using Images, you can find an image node in inputs category in the composition menu

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Thats in the compositor not in the materials. $\endgroup$
    – S.Visser
    Jun 15, 2018 at 13:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.