I would like to create a 3D model that has a wide variety of individually selectable objects on the right side of the x-axis, and then all of those same objects mirrored dynamically across to the other side of the x-axis. How do I do it?
What I want to achieve
- Create an object with an origin at 0,0,0 and no parts jutting into the left side of the x-axis.
- Create another object (say, a cube) somewhere on the right side of the x-axis.
- Somehow create an association between these two objects that lets me still select them easily later.
- Apply a mirror modifier to the association.
- Create more objects on the right side of the x-axis and add them to the association so that they are also mirrored on the other side of the x-axis.
- Add objects, move objects, change objects, and have them update in real time across the axis.
What I've tried - Grouping objects and then putting a modifier on the group (I wasn't able to get this to work) - Ctrl+J to join the meshes (but then I can't select them easily individually)