I want to move my bone in a simple circular motion in the xz-plane in an action. I have tried to insert my keyframes manually to move in a circle, but it is always bumpy and I have a hard time making it loop. Is there a way to get it to loop in a circular motion in an action without "drawing" it with your own manual keyframes? I'm already bad at drawing circles. Or is there another way to go about it? Thanks a bunch!
Method for a primarily 2D context.
- RMB select the foot bone and go into edit mode of the armature. ↹ Tab
- Create a parent bone at the position, you wish to rotate the foot around. ⇧ ShiftA Bone. RMB select the foot, then ⇧ Shift RMB select the parent, and parent them with an offset. ⎈ CtrlP > Keep Offset.
- Select the child and in the Properties context, in the bone tab, in the Relations section, uncheck Inherit Rotation.
- Go into Pose Mode ⎈ Ctrl↹ Tab. Select the parent, key the parent at a rotation of 0°, then at a rotation of 360° a few frame later. Locate the keys in the dopesheet and select them. Press ⇧ ShiftE > Make Cyclic, to make the rotation action loop. Press T > linear, to transform it into a linear motion.
- Alternatively to the cyclic repetition, you could press ⇧ ShiftE > Linear Extrapolation.